Alopecia is a common problem that can affect anyone. In fact, alopecia areata affects 1 in every 500-1,000 people in the U.S. This autoimmune disease is characterized by hair loss on the scalp, face, and sometimes other parts of the body. Accordingly, it can make people feel uncomfortable and unhappy with their appearances. There are many alopecia solutions you can choose from based on a few different factors.
What is Alopecia?
Alopecia refers to significant hair loss on the scalp and/or across the rest of the body. It occurs in women and men. In some cases, hair loss is permanent, and in others, hair grows back and falls out again. It can be caused by medical conditions, hormonal changes, or genetics. There are five main types of alopecia:
- Androgenic alopecia: Common amongst women and men, androgenic alopecia causes a widening of the part in some cases or could cause total or partial baldness.
- Alopecia areata: Causing patchy baldness, alopecia areata can occur anywhere on the body and causes the immune system to attack hair follicles, which affects hair growth.
- Alopecia totalis: This form of alopecia causes total hair loss on the scalp.
- Traction alopecia: Caused by excessive pulling or stretching of hair, traction alopecia is characterized by damaged hair follicles.
- Cicatricial alopecia: In cases of cicatricial alopecia, inflammation destroys the hair follicles, which are then replaced by scar tissue, resulting in permanent hair loss.
Human Hair Wigs
While alopecia cannot be cured, there are lots of hair restoration and replacement methods you can choose to manage your condition. A human hair wig might be your best option if you are living with alopecia. Wigs and hair pieces can be made in virtually any texture and color to match your natural growth. You can even dye, perm, and heat style your wig as you would your hair. Human hair wigs are preferable to synthetic wigs for their authentic look and feel. They are also easier to wash and keep clean without damaging them. Eldorado can help you determine the ideal hair system for your specific needs and create a natural look that restores confidence and is easily maintained.
Depending on the type of alopecia you are dealing with, you may be able to use hair extensions to supplement your natural hair. Those who have not lost all or most of their hair can work with a hair extension installation professional to recreate volume and texture. There are many different options when it comes to hair extensions, including tape-in, clip-in, and keratin. Your hair replacement specialist can help you determine whether extensions might be an adequate alopecia solution for you.
Eldorado is the leading provider of alopecia solutions in the Baltimore area. We offer a range of hair replacement and hair restoration options, both surgical and non-surgical. Our goal is to help every client dealing with alopecia restore their confidence and happiness with their appearance. Whatever your specific hair goals or budget may be, we can help. Contact us to schedule a free hair analysis, or call (410) 931-3399